Ball Corporation published its fifth biennial sustainability report, which details the company's progress toward its updated priorities – product stewardship, operational excellence, talent management and community ambassadors – and sets a clear path for the future with 10 new ambitious goals to be achieved by 2020.
Experience the interactive Multimedia News Release here: http://www.multivu.com/players/English/7692351-ball-2016-sustainability-report/
Sustainability has always been a part of who we are, and our team has worked hard to maintain a careful balance of our economic, environmental and social impacts over the years," said John A. Hayes, chairman, president and chief executive officer. "As a larger, more global company, being sustainable is more important than ever, and we must continue to set a high bar for ourselves and our partners".
Highlights from the reporting period include:
- Collaborated with our customers to develop and launch game-changing, lighter weight metal beverage and aerosol packaging innovations.
- Cut the product carbon footprint of our most common beverage can formats throughout their life cycle by 10 percent since 2010, putting us on pace to meet our global Cut/4 CArboN target of 25 percent by 2020.
- Reduced our Total Recordable Incident Rate by 27 percent through employee commitment and the use of various safety tools.
- Achieved our 2015 greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction target and decreased our company's carbon intensity by more than 10 percent in 5 years (compared to a 2010 baseline).
- Inaugurated the first significant renewable energy project in Ball's history by installing three 1.5 megawatt wind turbines at our Findlay, Ohio, plant.
- Donated more than $4 million to charitable organizations in Ball communities through The Ball Foundation, employee donations and the corporate match.
"As the largest canmaker in the world, we have a unique opportunity to apply key learnings from throughout our company, including many initiatives started by our incoming Rexam colleagues, to leverage our scale to be more efficient and more cost effective, and to set new standards in sustainable growth. We also have greater opportunities to address the fundamental challenges in our business and in our value network to ensure the beverage can is the most sustainable package in the beverage supply chain," Hayes added. "With our 18,700 employees and our partners around the world committed to our vision and 2020 goals, we look forward to building a brighter, stronger future for our organization and the industry".
To download the 2016 sustainability report, please visit www.ball.com/sustainability-reports. For more information on Ball's sustainability performance, including environmental and safety performance data, case studies and stakeholder perspectives, visit www.ball.com/sustainability.
About Ball Corporation
Ball Corporation supplies innovative, sustainable packaging solutions for beverage, food and household products customers, as well as aerospace and other technologies and services primarily for the U.S. government. Ball Corporation and its subsidiaries employ 18,700 people worldwide and pro forma 2015 net sales were $11 billion. For more information, visit www.ball.com.