Airnov Healthcare Packaging, a global leader in controlled atmosphere packaging, has launched a brand-new advanced solution which promises to provide substantial benefits to the pharmaceutical industry.
IDC® (Integrated Desiccant Closure), enables manufacturers to reduce the number of components that would typically form a complete desiccant system in a bottle by integrating the desiccant into the closure.
The unique design, which is protected by two patents, is expected to be adaptable on SP 400 bottles and also includes a child-resistant system and a new tamper-evident disk on the top, with a key goal of the IDC® being able to unify packaging standards globally.
In the US and European markets, there are different sizes and approaches to standard bottles and the ways in which desiccants are integrated into them. With the newly launched IDC®, Airnov is offering a solution that covers both market standards, reducing the need for complex bottle packaging in each region.
The IDC® can be leveraged for the protection of all sensitive products which require safeguarding against humidity, including various pharmaceutical medicines which risk being spoiled by exposure to moisture.
“This is why we are excited to bring IDC® to Pharmapack,” commented Dr. Elisa Le Floch, product lines manager at Airnov. “With this product, we can support companies operating in the pharmaceutical, nutraceutical and diagnostic sectors by removing several operational steps on their filling lines.”
As well as these numerous practical benefits, visitors to Pharmapack will also be able to see IDC® on display at the Innovation Gallery and experience first-hand how it can support key environmental objectives by cutting the use of materials in comparison to incumbents currently on the market.
“Sustainability will always be front and center of our product development, and IDC® is no different in that respect,” Elisa Le Floch added. “Our job is to make the lives of our customers easier with efficient, smart solutions that also deliver on important environmental metrics.”
IDC® – Key features at a glance:
- IDC® is developed to be compatible with a large range of SP 33/400 bottles, providing flexibility when selecting a compatible bottle supplier.
- Inside the integrated desiccant chamber, the fill can be made of different sorbents, including silica gel, molecular sieve or EQius.
- The new tamper-evident system is located on top of the closure. Through the color contrast between the upper and the inner cap, the first opening is made obvious to the end-user.
- The child resistant system is integrated with a push and turn. This makes it easy to open and reclose for a wide section of the public, including for the elderly.
- Once reclosed, the IDC® is airtight, ensuring the in-use shelf-life for sensitive products.