Supporting trace element analysis across the environmental, food safety, pharmaceutical and industrial markets, Thermo Fisher Scientific is showcasing its latest inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) and inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry (ICP-OES) solutions and techniques at the 2018 Winter Conference on Plasma Spectrochemistry in Amelia Island, Florida in booth 43-45.
At the conference, Thermo Fisher is announcing the biannual Winter Conference Awards in Plasma Spectrochemistry. Established in 2009, and sponsored by Thermo Fisher, the awards acknowledge achievements in conceptualization and development of innovative instrumentation as well as the elucidation of fundamental events or processes involved in plasma spectrochemistry.
2018 award winners include:
- Life Achievement Award: Robert Samuel Houk, professor at Iowa State University, for his years of pioneering research in analytical spectroscopy and inorganic mass spectroscopy.
- The Young Scientist Award: Jorge Pisonero, Ph.D., associate professor at the University of Oviedo, Spain, for his work with laser and plasma spectroscopy.
“We are honored to sponsor the Winter Conference Awards and to congratulate this year’s winners,” said Shona McSheehy Ducos, senior product manager, trace elemental analysis, chromatography and mass spectrometry at Thermo Fisher. “We recognize the value of continued growth and adoption of plasma sources for atomization and excitation in atomic spectroscopy and ionization in mass spectrometry and are committed to developing products and techniques that enable laboratories to address emerging developments in ICP-MS and ICP-OES.”
Thermo Fisher is hosting lunch and learn sessions, as well as presenting a range of posters throughout the conference, including:
Lunch and learn sessions:
- “All the Capabilities, None of the Limits,” on January 9 from noon-1 p.m. in the Live Oak Room at the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort. The session will provide a guide to the range of elemental analysis instruments available and reveal how workflows can be streamlined through the introduction of innovative software and robust hardware accessories.
- “Combining Triple Quadrupole ICP-MS with Unique Ease of Use” on January 10 from noon-1 in the Talbot Room Room at the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort. This session will explain cutting-edge triple quadrupole ICP-MS technologies, and will demonstrate the capabilities of the Thermo Scientific Triple Quadrupole ICP-MS, in the most complex of matrices without spectral interferences.
- “Advanced ICP-OES Sample Introduction Systems for High Speed Analysis of High Matrix Samples,” will be presented by Matthew Cassap, ICP product manager, Thermo Fisher, at 4:50 p.m. on January 9. The presentation will demonstrate the low-cost, multi-element analysis that is achievable with the Thermo Scientific iCAP 7000 Plus Series ICP-OES, and the ability to measure trace elements in a wide range of samples.
- “Using Triple Quadrupole Interference Correction to Improve Data Quality in Laser Ablation ICP-MS,” will be presented by Dr. Dhinesh Asogan, product specialist, trace elemental analysis, Thermo Fisher, at 5:20 pm on January 9. Asogan will explain the advancements made in state-of-the-art ICP-MS, with reference to the Thermo Scientific iCAP TQ ICP-MS.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.